Ladies and Gentlemen - introducing: Frederik Steinmetz! He has prepared an intermediate tutorial on Cycles. Not the usual "How to start Cycles and set up a simple scene" kind of tutorial but a guided tour around current pitfalls and lots of tips and tricks!
This is the first guest appearance of Frederik Steinmetz on BlenderDiplom, and believe me, there will be more! He is a veteran from CG Tuts+ just like me and shares the same spirit of teaching broad-range techniques that will be helpful in many situations. This tutorial on Cycles, the upcoming Blender renderer of awesomeness, is full of them!
- 00:00 - 00:50 An ultra-short introduction to the Cycles render engine
- 00:50 - 02:10 Setting up a simple demo scene
- 02:10 - 06:10 Lighting in Blender Cycles
- 06:10 - 16:15 Using textures in Cycles
- 16:15 - 20:00 Easily lighten and darken materials and textures in Cycles
- 20:00 - 21:40 How to set up and tweak displacements
- 21:40 - 24:00 Overview of the material setup for the spider
- 24:00 - 31:35 How to cheat with lights in Blender Cycles